This is a recap of the latest sermon in our current series, Life in the Spirit
Many people want to do powerful, radical things for God. We all want to be important. We all want to make an impact. Jesus is teaching us in this passage that the most radical thing we can DO for God is to BE—in Christ, by the Holy Spirit.
1. BE Because Christ’s Work is DONE
Branches don’t worry about bearing fruit. They bear fruit because they’re connected to their source of life and power. The day before Jesus went to the cross, He told His disciples, “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends” (v.13) We can BE in Christ and be connected to Him as our source of life and power by His own Spirit because His work has already been accomplished for us in His life, death, and resurrection.
2. Being Bears Fruit
The Christian life is not about our hard work, our accomplishments. The best life we can live in this world is not achieved through our efforts or hard work. Christ calls us to BE in Him and that being will bear the fruit of love for others by the power of His Spirit in us.
3. Being Brings Joy
Christ did all that He did and sent His own Spirit to us so that our “joy may be full” (v.11). Love Himself walked the earth and died for us to BE with us so we could BE in Him by His Spirit. Joy in Christ comes by the power and presence of the Holy Spirit.
Reflection & Application Questions
- Can you think of any other places in the Bible when God’s people won a victory or escaped their enemies because God delivered them (not because of what they did to save themselves)? Why do you think God works this way?
- Why is it so important for us to recognize that Christ’s work is already done? What might happen if we didn’t understand this?
- What is radical about being in Christ? Why is this the way for us to experience God’s power in our lives?
- What kind of fruit does God want us to bear? Name one particular place in your life you believe God wants you to bear fruit. How will you rely on the Spirit to bear fruit in you?
- Why do you think Jesus wants us to have joy? Why does obeying His commandments lead to joy in our lives?
- Describe your prayer life. What is one time/place that you can “empty out” so you can simply BE in Christ by the Spirit? Commit to doing this for a week and journal your experience.